Creating a fundraising page for Relay for Life of Second Life (Captain’s page)
As a team co-captain for the Builder’s Brewery group in Second Life, I fundraise for the American Cancer Society through Relay for Life. This tutorial is to help team captains navigate the Relay for Life of Second Life website. For a tutorial to help your team members, refer them to here.
Team captains, please do this after you have registered your team on the website. To check whether you have done that, go here, and see if your team name is listed. If it is, proceed to step 1.
- Go to the Relay for Life of Second Life website. Click the button, “Fundraise In RL“
2. It will bring you to the page below. All captains (regardless of whether you have relayed in SL before) will need to click “Start a Team”
3. Next, enter your team name, and your team’s fundraising goal. Then click “Next”
4. You will now be entering information to set up your personal dashboard page – from this step down, your information has nothing to do with the overall team page. You can fill out the boxes based on your personal choices. You will NOT have to pay a registration fee in order to relay in SL.
- However, if you choose to donate at this point, you will be asked to put in your RL address linked to your credit card for the billing information.
- If you chose “No, I’ll donate later,” the setup will skip the billing information stage.
5. Use your SL name. If you have a newer user name, you can use “Resident’ as the last name. If you do not wish to use your real address, use the address provided in the picture below. This is the official “SL” address that Relay has provided for teams in SL. For username, we suggest using a familiar email, or a name that you can easily remember. Warning: When you click “Next” you will initially get an error message. See below.
6. You will get an error message that looks like the picture below. Don’t worry! Hit “Next” again, and it will go through.
7. Review your information on the screen. Make sure you’ve got all the spellings, and that you are using your Captains name in SL (and not your real name). If you made a mistake, hit “Previous” to go back. Otherwise, hit “Next”
8. BOOM! You’re done! Now, start inviting your other team members to register! Refer them to the tutorial I created here (it will be slightly different than the one for team captains). You can have them use the same SL virtual address if they are not comfortable using their real address.
This is a picture of your default dashboard page. Click “Take a tour” to learn about it.
Until there is a cure, we Relay!